The Social Services Ministry meets at 7:00 PM on the first Tuesday of the month, September through June.
Purpose of the Social Services Ministry
- To extend Christian compassion and helpfulness to the ill, the aged, the youth, the orphaned, the underprivileged, the imprisoned, and, in general, to persons of all ages in need of aid in body and soul.
- Strive to enlist in these efforts as many as possible of the individual members and organizations of the congregation.
- To study social conditions, primarily in the local community, in order to bring the cleansing and healing light of the Christian truth to bear upon critical problems through thoughtful Christian discussion of facts and issues.
Projects the Committee has Promoted
- Provide lunch to patients at Christ Lutheran Mission of Mercy on the days when Doctors visit the facility.
- Thanksgiving and Christmas baskets (food and gifts) for individuals in need within our community.
- Co-ordinate the Good Samaritan Program to assist members needing meals following illness/hospitalizations or other circumstances.
- CROP Walk for Hunger fund raising activities.
- Litter clean-up of two miles of Oak Grove Road several times per year.
- Love Boxes for college students and men and women in the armed services.
- Provide the pastor with grocery store gift cards to be given to those in need.
- Distribute large print copies of “Christ in Our Home” devotionals to shut-ins.
- Volunteer at the South Central Food Bank warehouse.
- Maintain First Aid Kits throughout the church.
- Collect monetary donations as well as food donations for the Ecumenical Food Pantry in Harrisburg and provide volunteers to help at the food pantry.
- Provide volunteers to help distribute “Nutripacks” to families in need in the Central Dauphin School District.
- Volunteer with the Global Aid Network which provides humanitarian aid to countries that are closed to such aid.
A group of church members meet twice a year on a Saturday morning in October and April to clean up trash on 2 miles of Oak Grove Road. We meet at Skyline Restaurant for breakfast at 8 AM and meet any other volunteers at 9 AM in the Resurrection Cemetery parking lot on Oak Grove Road. The sign pictured above is at Rt. 22 and Oak Grove Road.
Members of the Social Services Ministry
Pastor Jim Person
Molly Stanton, Chair